Sunday, February 13, 2011

Short story- The Black Dot

The Black Dot

1) I would call this story The Black Dot because the black dot is what the ceremony is about. Everybody does not want to draw the black dot and people are very afraid of the card. Also this little black dot can take over somebody live. I also called this the Black Dot because this little dot that has a lot of influence and responsibility. Also I would call it the black dot because it would not give away the story. It was surprising for me to see how the story can change from negative to positive and to negative again.
2) I thought that this dot was for the order in the community.  Maybe for a job, hierarchy, names, or that you maybe got a special job for the next year(extra food, got to lead the next ceremony). I certainly did not think that it was negative. Me and my class mates read the short story together and when we finished we certainly knew that the story was not finished.
3) I did not really know that the story was going to end like this so I was just like ''oh well'', there might be another chance tomorrow. If I knew that the story was going to end like this than I would probably want to know it immediately. Now if I look back at yesterday then it was probably better that the story was not given to us because then the suspension was kept. Also because other everybody would away after a negative ending and then you would of had a negative mood. I think that they wanted us to feel how they felt to drag us into the story and to connect with the audience.
4)When I was handed the Mystery paper and Mrs. P told us that we were not allowed to open it until we got home I was pretty nervous. I felt like opening it but I followed the instructions. I though that in this paper there was going to be a black dot or not. If you had a blank paper than you did not have to do anything. If you had a black dot then you had some direction underneath it and you had to follow it. Maybe it was something that you had to read, write or do. I followed the direction because they were the rules and rules are rules.
5) When I saw that some letters had black dots and some had white dots I thought that there were maybe two different assessments that you had to do. Then I saw that half of the people had white dots and the other half had black dots.  I concluded that the dots did not have to do with anything but people getting suspicious about their letter.
 6)When I read the end of the story I was kind of disappointed in the story. I really liked the story because it was pretty positive. Now when only the last page for the story is negative, it turned my whole mood of the story around because dying for sacrifice is not very pleasant.
7)My predictions of the letter and the black box were incorrect. I thought that the letter has something to do with jobs or the new year. Instead the story is about somebody who is giving a person as a sacrifice. I actually think that the end of the story should have been positive so that the reader would walk about with a good mood. Instead the person has writer wrote a negative end. Even though I don’t like the end it is going to make your reader think harder and think about the story for a longer time period.
8)Next time I am going to try to make a prediction closer to the truth I think I should of looked at the story and how the people talked about this ceremony. I should of thought about the stones and how the children still thought it was a game. I should of though about hw this only happens once a year and how there is only one person trying getting the card. Through the whole story they have been foreshadowing something but nobody liked it so I should of looked at the feeling when I was making the prediction
9) I think the author left these voids in the story because wanted to create suspension. Suspension is important in a story because it keeps the reader interested.  Also I think that the author has voids in the story because he wanted to give the reader a big splash at the end so that they would not fall asleep and so that they would keep thinking about the story throughout the whole day. 
10)The void in this story gives it so much power.  No title and just the name keeps the reader thinking about the story and what is going to happen, plus it keeps the reader thinking about the personality of the author and why she wrote this story. The ending is very annoying for the reader but it keeps the void alive. The clues that are given and the foreshadowing makes the reader want to know about the letter that is given to everybody. Also they’ll think about who got the black dot. The mystery paper keeps the suspense going until you get home. You will get suspicious and nervous because you don’t know who and what is going to happen. The delayed ending is effective because then you have your own time on your way home and during your activities to think about the ending because you knew that this was not the end. Also the fact that people were nervous and were just saying ‘’lets get this over with’’ means that something is going to happen and your dying to know.

              I choose this picture because their is a lot of void and as in the story one dot is very powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment